Friday, November 30, 2007

Elisabeth is Here! 9-24-07


Well, I have to say that this has been one of the best weeks of my life. After months of worry, ultrasounds, doctors appts, and uncertainty, Elisabeth was born. She was delivered by c-section at 10:27 am on Monday September 24, 2007. It was amazing. The operating room was on the 3rd floor of the hospital and one whole wall was windows - letting the sunshine pour in. They asked what kind of music I wanted to listen to and so Elisabeth was born to Vivaldi's 4 seasons. The music was heavenly, the sunshine was heavenly, and then there was our little gift from heaven...alive and crying.....weighing in at a whopping 9 lbs 5.5 oz. The joy I felt that moment and in the hours immediately following was unlike anything I have ever experienced. A few months ago they told me to expect her to die shortly after birth, but there she was - fat and pink and crying. The most beautiful sight that I have ever seen!!
Her surgery was at 4:30 the next after noon. They put a camera in her skull to get a better idea of what was happening in there. Oddly enough her two lateral ventricles had formed as one, with nothing separating them. They also confirmed that her condition was caused by something called aquaductal stenosis, which means that one of the passages between the 3rd and 4th ventricles was blocked, not allowing the cerebral spinal fluid to drain properly. But she now has her shunt in place and it seems to be working just as it should. She was in somewhat of a daze for a day or so after the surgery, but as of this afternoon she really seems to have perked up. I was visiting her this afternoon and she drank 2 ounces, so it looks like they will be removing her feeding tube soon!!
Elisabeth is my miracle. I am so in love with her and I feel so blessed that she is alive and recovering. Thank you to everyone who has showed us support and love through all of this. It has been one of the most emotional, educational, and memorable experiences of my life so far. I can't wait for all of you to meet her.
Related Posts with Thumbnails