Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Inspiring

I had a desire lately to learn a little more about Helen Keller. What an amazing human being! Her wisdom is great and her words are eloquent. Here is something that really stood out to me:

"Most people measure their happiness in terms of physical pleasure and material possession. Could they win some visible goal which they have set on the horizon, how happy they could be! Lacking this gift or that circumstance, they would be miserable. If happiness is to be so measured, I who cannot hear or see have every reason to sit in a corner with folded hands and weep. If I am happy in spite of my deprivations, if my happiness is so deep that it is a faith, so thoughtful that it becomes a philosophy of life, — if, in short, I am an optimist, my testimony to the creed of optimism is worth hearing."


It really goes to show that life is what you make it. No matter what trials or circumstances we face, there is good to be found. Oh, how I hope that my Elisabeth will follow the example of this great woman! That she will discover her blessings before her hardships. That she will focus on her abilities rather than her handicaps. I wish for her to realize that her life is full of opportunity. And I hope that she will find happiness all along the way.
Related Posts with Thumbnails