Tuesday, September 16, 2008

No Opportunity Wasted

I am a huge fan of The Amazing Race on CBS. So for Christmas a few years back my brother gave me the book No Opportunity Wasted written by the shows host, Phil Keoghan. The book is a motivational tool that inspires you to conquer your fears, tackle your goals, and live life to its fullest. At the end of the book it asks the reader to create their own N.O.W. list. So I did.


One of my goals on that list was to be able to run a mile. To many that is no big deal. In fact, I have several friends that are avid runners. They run two and three times that much every day. But me, I have never been physically fit, I have never played sports, and I most certainly never ran.

In May my older sister asked if I would run a half marathon with her next Spring. I quickly agreed, realizing that this was just the motivation I needed to get moving. For the past 5 weeks I have been diligently participating in a 'Couch to 5K' running plan. I was pitiful at the beginning but have been amazed at how quickly my body has adapted to the routine.

Now for the exciting news: a few days ago I ran a mile!!! No walking, no stopping. And it wasn't even that hard. I feel a great sense of accomplishment. And even more so I feel a drive to keep working, running harder and running longer.

So that's one item I can cross of my N.O.W. list, and boy does it feel good. On to the next goal...

Related Posts with Thumbnails