Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Story of the Dollar


Yesterday's post left several people wondering about the framed dollar in the background of the picture. Here's the scoop.

For my 6th birthday my grandmother gave me the gift of music {in the form of violin lessons}. That was in January of 1986. 2 months later I went to my grandma's church and performed for a group of children. For the next 18 years my grandma would re-tell the story of that day....word for word. And it always ended with her saying, "I asked, 'were you nervous?'. And you said, 'no'."

My grandmother passed away in 2004 and shortly thereafter my mom came across an envelope containing a dollar. On it she had written:

March 27, 1986
Lisa's first concert for the Merry Music Makers at Grandma's church for about 28 or 30 children and 4 adults. Her first concert dollar.

That envelope and dollar are among my most prized possessions. I framed them in a shadow box and hung it in my parlor. {I feel that prized possessions should be displayed in a place where you can enjoy them daily}.

And that is the story of the dollar.



Related Posts with Thumbnails