Thursday, May 7, 2009

Performing


I have been busy preparing for two...that's right...two upcoming concerts. I love being a musician on the side; a gig here, a gig there....so fun.

Now here is the exciting news: this Saturday night I am performing Beethoven's 7th Symphony! Seriously, does it get better than that? I know that many would argue that the 9th Symphony is the greatest, and obviously the 5th gets a lot of glory....but the 7th....ahh.....what a treat. I get lost in it; and by lost I mean I get completely mesmerized by its beauty and brilliance.

And what makes this experience so rich is that I am not just listening to a CD at home; I am not sitting in the audience hearing it from afar; I am making the music. I sit in the orchestra and feel it all around me. I am in the midst of sounds and rhythms and dynamics. It becomes almost tangible. And then I realize that I am a part of something much bigger than my instrument or my section or my symphony. I am taking part in a tradition of music that has been enjoyed throughout the years and throughout the world. It is surreal. It is humbling.

So what are you doing on Saturday night? Want to come? Here's the 411:

Celebrate the Season

May 9, 2009, 8 pm
Three Rivers Convention Center, Kennewick, WA

Glazunov: The Seasons: Spring
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons: Spring & Summer
Beethoven: Symphony No. 7

And in case you are in a real artsy mood lately, you might be interested in this:

Mid-Columbia Mastersingers Concert

May 16, 2009 8 pm
Battelle Auditorium, Richland, WA

Flower songs by Britten, Lauridsen, Whitacre & Persichetti

Featuring members of the Mid-Columbia Symphony (that's me!)

See You There!

(don't you love how presumptuous I can be?)
Related Posts with Thumbnails