Thursday, September 24, 2009

2 Years Old


It's been 2 years since Elisabeth entered the world. That was the greatest day of my life. The joy I felt was so incredibly strong that I am quite sure I will never find words to describe it.

You see, I [emotionally] lost her once. They told me she would never live...and I believed them. At only 16 weeks gestation the ventricles in her brain were almost the size of a full term baby. Keeping with that rate of growth her survival was inconceivable.

I remember during one of those first appointments, the heartache I felt when I asked the doctor if there was a chance things could change for the better; if perhaps her body could correct this problem. And I'll never forget him looking at me and saying, "I believe in miracles, but...." and he let his voice trail off to nothing.

At that moment I felt the most agonizing pain that I have ever experienced. For the first time, I understood what heartache was. And with a heavy heart I carried on....finding a careful balance between acceptance and hope.

So on the morning of September 24, 2007, when I saw my baby for the first time, and heard her cry, and felt her soft skin.....the joy I experienced.....is simply indescribable. There was no sorrow that day; no worry about surgeries or handicaps or other things that the future would hold for her. That day was pure and good. It was a day where hope became a reality. It was the day I witnessed a miracle.


Happy 2nd Birthday
Elisabeth Elva.
Related Posts with Thumbnails