Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"I am 16 going on 17"



Lately my girls have been on a Sound of Music kick. And by kick I mean we listen to it as we drive to and from school....and everywhere else around town for that matter. And whenever they have the opportunity to pick out a movie to watch (like after Alexandra got two fillings last week) they are quick to choose my favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein classic. In fact, it is not just my favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein musical....it is my 2nd favorite movie of all time (beat out only by Mary Poppins, another Julie Andrews film).


[Love their outfits, love that house.]

So I have been in heaven lately. My home, my car, and my head have been filled with The Sound of Music. And yes, I sing along as loud and enthusiastically as I can.

Anyways, as we were watching it (yet again) yesterday afternoon the girls began asking about the ages of the Von Trapp children. And not the ages of the characters....but the ages of the actors. For example, we know Liesl is 16 going on 17, but how old was Charmain Carr when they filmed it? So I went straight to IMDB to look up some answers. It turns out that she was actually something like 22...which made sense since she looked much older than 16.

Next I looked up Julie Andrews because I just couldn't quite decide how old I thought she looked. Would you believe that she was younger than me when she made that movie? How in the world can that be possible?



My brother David called while I was looking up bio's of all the actors. 'How old was Captain Von Trapp (played by Christopher Plummer)?' he wanted to know. The answer: 35 (which is younger than David). And just like I thought it was strange that I am older than Maria....David found it even stranger that he was older than Captain Von Trapp.



So we both decided that we look much younger than people did in the old days and that people back then just matured faster. Because really, what other explanation can there be???

(humor me please)



***And for the record: Donald says he is so glad that we don't have sons because he knows I would dress them like the picture above. (Ya...he's probably right. You should see how I dressed my nephews for our wedding.)
Related Posts with Thumbnails