Friday, March 18, 2011

Brave New World



For the last week or so I have been busy reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Have you read it? It's one of those classics that I think most people read at one time or another (but I hadn't read it since high school so I thought I would have another go at it).

What an interesting book; a disturbing story of a futuristic society where people are basically manufactured. There are no parents, there are no families. People are predestined to the caste in which they are born and are conditioned (through hypnopaedia or 'sleep teaching') to be happy with their lot in life.

I love the message[s] that this book sends; the purpose of life; the purpose and value in the hardships we face; the joy that we can experience because we know hardships. And most significantly, the beauty of being an individual - with independent thoughts and dreams and hopes and desires.

Definitely a well written book; it's no wonder it ranked #5 on Modern Library's 100 Best Novels list.

Now the question is: what to read next...



***Go check out the new section on my navigation bar titled The Book Shelf!

Related Posts with Thumbnails