Thursday, November 7, 2013

Nesting

Lisa: We are about to embark upon our biggest adventure yet.

Donald: It may very well turn out to be our biggest adventure ever.

 photo 11e49a0a-a2ba-4a9d-bae5-25f839a727ff_zpscf8f898d.jpg 

I have discovered that this phase of the adoption reminds me of those last weeks of being pregnant before delivery. The nesting phase at its finest; preparing my home for the addition of a child. For example: I suddenly realized that Elsa could not come home to dirty carpets, so despite my mile long to-do list, I got the steam cleaner out and washed the carpets in her bedroom (and the upstairs hallway...and the parlor).

I've also been washing, ironing, and folding all of her clothes. And then, staring at said pile of clean, ironed clothes, trying to decide what outfit to put her in when we walk out of the orphanage together. It's reminiscent of the days when I would make the all-important decision of what outfit to bring my babies home from the hospital in. Elsa specifically asked for a skirt - so a skirt it will be!

In addition to packing her clothes, undies, pajamas, and all necessary items, I have been trying to figure out what to pack for the plane ride home. Because a 17.5 hour flight from Addis Ababa to Washington D.C. is going to require a lot of entertaining. I bought a kindergarten workbook for Elsa, and I think I will pack some favorite children's books as well.

I can't believe the time is here. That tonight when I go to bed it will be my last time sleeping in this house with just three daughters under my watch and care. 

I'm ready. Let's do this.


Related Posts with Thumbnails