Saturday, June 13, 2015

Let's Hike a Mountain, Shall We?

Mission:

Mt. St. Helens

 photo 24edbad8-48ef-419e-b5dd-7f156d76cf77_zpscmwatjzo.jpg

I have a crazy habit of setting big goals.

Huge goals.

And I just did it again.

On September 22, 2015 I will hike Mt. St. Helens.

In preparation, I have been training diligently, with daily yoga, 5 am hikes, and strength training. It has been hard, but deeply satisfying.

Until this morning.

All I saw were my shortcomings. I felt like a failure. Despite the ways in which I have progressed, all I could see was how far I am from where I want to be. I left the house a little later than usual for my hike - 5:30 am - and drove to Badger Mountain feeling defeated. When I parked the car I got out, strapped on my 15 pound pack and walked to the base of the mountain. I just stood and looked up...for something like an hour. I had tears streaming down my face and was THIS close to throwing in the towel and going home.

But I didn't.

I finally started up the trail, tears still coming.

It's rare for me to feel that way. Truth be told, I almost always succeed at whatever it is I put my mind to. I believe in taking my dreams and making them happen. But today, for a short while, all I could see was failure.

After some words of wisdom from a trusted friend, I was able to adjust my attitude and once again focus on my goal. 

We don't always progress at the rate we like or even in the way we like. The key is to keep on carrying on.

One bad morning will not define me.

I can do this.

I can do anything.

So I will.

 photo 1083f876-76c3-4f2b-942d-a8a344f920df_zps67spnsag.jpg
Related Posts with Thumbnails