Monday, February 23, 2009

Elisabeth's Big Night

Elisabeth enjoyed being the guest of honor at a benefit dinner for the Children's Developmental Center. We even bought her her first pair of shoes for the occasion. I realize that by 17 months of age most children have already reached that milestone, but Elisabeth has never had a need for shoes.

This, however, was a shoe sort of an occasion. So we took her to a local shoe store and got her sized. I think she was rather confused by the foreign objects being strapped to her feet. You see, she has never known anything but comfort. So I taught her a very important lesson: sometimes we must suffer in the name of fashion.

In the end, she was uncomfortable in her shoes, and I in mine. Like mother, like daughter.

My speech is a blur. I stood, I spoke, and I rambled on and on about the world's most miraculous baby {I can say that...she's my daughter}. I tried to touch on the important things; the initial diagnosis, struggles with epilepsy, and Elisabeth's restored vision.

I am deeply grateful for the Children's Developmental Center. They have been a constant support to our family over the last year and a half. When Elisabeth's therapists come to our home she lights up at the sound of their voices. And I have watched with amazement as they have helped her reach milestones that I thought were unreachable. What a wonderful program and a blessing to so many families. I am thankful for the opportunity that I had to share our story and I hope that by doing so others in the community were able to realize what a valuable resource the Childrens Developmental Center is.

Here are some pictures of our night:

Elisabeth was intrigued by the ice sculpture.


Mother and daughter.


Our table.


And the tables of others {just because}.


A closeup of my dress because I love the ruffled collar.
Sophisticated....yet dainty.











Related Posts with Thumbnails