Thursday, March 5, 2009

Out Of 'Jail'


We left the hospital in the late afternoon. Outside, the sun was shining brightly and there was a crisp breeze blowing. Elisabeth immediately started kicking her legs. Excitement. Freedom.

As we drove home I felt the deepest gratitude that my baby was with me. I thought of all the mothers in centuries past who lost their children due to illness and disease. And I realize that many who live today are in regions of the world where modern medicine isn't accessible.

I reflected over the happenings of the last 5 days. On Friday night Elisabeth had a fever. I held her for three hours trying to convince myself that it was OK for her to be a little sick. Surely this was nothing more than a childhood bug. We gave her some Tylenol to reduce her temperature and tucked her into bed.

The next morning Donald found her limp and unconscious. I rushed her to the hospital and as we entered the ER she began to seize. She looked so sick, so helpless.

The next 5 days were filled with questions, tests, and lots of waiting. Elisabeth became so accustomed to being poked that it didn't even phase her towards the end. There is still a certain mystery as to why her platelet and white blood cells were so low in numbers. But because she responded well to the transfusion and is maintaining her platelet count, we were able to bring her home.

So now we carry on. Today Elisabeth will have therapy and I will enjoy more of my Spring Cleaning. Lorelai will play 'dog and owner' and Alexandra will attend her first soccer practice of the season. It's life just the way I like it. And I am so glad that even when we hit these bumps in the road....my life can still be simple and peaceful and happy.

I'm looking forward to today.














Related Posts with Thumbnails