Monday, June 14, 2010

The Human Spirit

Photobucket

Last week when 16 year old Abby Sunderland went missing on her solo voyage around the world it got me thinking.

My first thought was,

'What in the world were her parents thinking? They let her sail around the world?!? Alone?!?'

But as the day went on I couldn't get the story out of my mind. And the more I thought it through, the more I realized that I have great respect for her parents.

Yes, Abby Sunderland is only 16....but does that really matter? She had the spirit of an adventurer; she had the skill required; she had the maturity level to handle months alone on the open sea. She, as a person, was ready...and her parents saw that. And rather than hold her back and discourage her from going after such a tremendous feat, they trained her, they prepared her, and they offered their love and support.

I only hope that Donald and I can be such a parents. Parents who recognize the potential within our children and help them achieve their goals rather than limit them because of expectations that modern society has set or fear of the unknown.

Because life is not about limiting ourselves.

Life is about saying, 'I can do it'.

Life is about hard work.

Life is about endurance.

Life is about living your dreams.

Abby Sunderland encompasses all of these ideals. Indeed, Abby Sunderland is what the human spirit is all about; courage, strength, and ambition.


I tip my hat to both her and her parents.





***To read Abby's blog, click here.
Related Posts with Thumbnails