Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Microcephaly

Neurology Report



As you may - or may not - know, I took Elisabeth to visit her neurologist on Friday. We talked about the usual; her regression this past year, seizures, meds, etc.

But I also revisited a topic from back when she was a newborn: her brain growth.

I remember our first visit to Dr. Reggin when she was only 2 months old. At that time he predicted that her brain would not grow; that it had been damaged too severely.

He was right.

Elisabeth's brain is not growing. And because it is not growing, her head is not growing (a skull only expands if there is pressure from within). So Elisabeth has what is known as microcephaly, meaning 'small head'. And by small, I mean small. Elisabeth's head circumference doesn't come anywhere near the first percentile. It is T-I-N-Y.

So that's that; her body will continue to grow, but her head will remain infant-sized.

All I can say is that it's a good thing she has all that poofy hair - it kind of helps round things out a little bit :)



Three cheers for curls!
Related Posts with Thumbnails