Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"The wrong place at the wrong time"

Donald called as I was getting the girls ready for school yesterday morning. He sounded glum.

"Did you get my email?" he asked.

"No, what's wrong?" I replied. (because it was obvious something wasn't right)

"I got a ticket coming out to work this morning."

Then he went on to tell me the details. How he had been so good about driving the speed limit lately. How this was the one time he decided to speed around someone. How it was all because he had to make a trip to the men's room sooooooo bad. And how he was caught by an unmarked patrol car.

"I was at the wrong place at the wrong time, I guess," says Donald.

That's about the time I started laughing.

First of all: Seriously? You are going to get all depressed about a silly old speeding ticket? As I look at life that ranks pretty low on the list of 'things to get upset about'. I mean, it's not like he found out he needed brain surgery or something. (Can you tell that brain surgery is what I measure everything else against?)

Second of all: Wrong place at the wrong time??? Ha!! I laughed hysterically at that - both while I was on the phone and for a long time afterwards.

> Being in a bank when an armed robber comes in - that is being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

> Standing at the precise spot where lightning strikes - that is being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

> Getting stuck in a broken elevator when you're in labor - that is being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

> Speeding around someone illegally and getting caught - that is most definitely, 100%, and absolutely not a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sorry Donald. (I love you though!!!!)
Related Posts with Thumbnails