Monday, March 21, 2011

Birthday Parties!


[My grandma, as a baby, with her parents.]

March 21st marked what would have been the 103rd birthday of my maternal grandmother, Juanita Tamblyn. My mom called to tell me that we had to bake a cake in her honor; I told her that would be fine because I had another reason for baking a cake and that we would just make this a dual celebration. My other reason for partying-it-up was because it is the 6th anniversary since we purchased this home back in March of 2005. Oh, what a wonderful home it has been! The past 6 years have been filled with the richest of experiences.

I asked each member of the family: What is your favorite memory in this house?

Donald: New Years 2008

Lisa (yes, I asked myself): October 1st, 2007 - the day we brought Elisabeth home from the hospital. I spent the evening sitting on the couch, snuggling my newborn babe, while Donald was busy assembling her 'royal cradle'.

Alexandra: The time when we all sat around the computer watching old family video's.

Lorelai: The Valentine's Day where I got my sparkle shoes. [Valentine's Day 2009]

And since Elisabeth can't talk, I asked everyone what they thought her favorite memory would be. Donald thought she would have said swinging in the backyard. And both the girls [independently] gave me the same answer: banging her head. They were saying this jokingly, of course. It's just that the thing Elisabeth does most is bang her head on the floor (not something I post video's of), so that's the first thing that came to each of their minds.

We are grateful for the wonderful home this has been for 6 years. Having our own little corner of the world is a blessing indeed and we will always cherish the memories we have made here. If all goes as planned we will be living somewhere else next year and so this was our final birthday party for this home. A little sad, but at the same time I have learned that life keeps moving and changing and that you mustn't mourn over times gone, but rather be happy that they happened at all (and re-visit those good memories often!).

*3rd house party.


**4th house party.


***5th house party.

Related Posts with Thumbnails