Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Summer Adventure: Part XIII

Florence

Florence has a much different feel from any other European city I've visited. I felt it right away - and so did my sisters. It felt dark, and heavy, and a bit ominous. But why? What was it?

It wasn't until we visited the home of the Italian poet, Dante, that we found some answers.

We stumbled upon Dante's home quite by accident and found that we pretty much had the place to ourselves. It is now a museum that focuses on the history of Florence. As we wove our way through the rooms, we read stories of the middle ages; of feuds and fighting. And suddenly we realized why Florence felt the way it did - because its dark history still lingers.

So while Florence is not my favorite place, I do feel that I have come away with an understanding of it; a respect for its past and the people that have lived there. And that's what traveling is all about.







[I think I did more laughing last week than in the rest of my life combined. Me + my sisters = good times.]
Related Posts with Thumbnails