Friday, April 6, 2012

Strength to Cling To



I've been thinking a lot about pain lately. It's an easy thing to do as I sit here day after day and watch Elisabeth. I wonder what she is feeling? Where? Why? It wasn't too long ago that I was the one suffering. I can vividly remember how searing that pain was; how desperately I wanted relief from my physical torture. But now I would do anything to take that pain back upon myself; to switch places with Elisabeth. She is so perfect, so pure. She doesn't understand what is happening to her - none of us do.

Yesterday, I thought back to a post I wrote a few months ago. In it I reflected upon the pain that I felt and the things that I experienced while I was injured. I went back in my archives and found that post. As I re-read it, a certain passage stood out to me:

"But despite it all I kept living. Because what other choice was there? I am a mother and I have a child with brain damage, so shutting down for two months and feeling sorry for myself just wasn't an option."

And even though this is a different situation - I think I needed to remind myself of those words. Crumbling to pieces just isn't an option right now. Elisabeth is suffering, so I must be strong; provide her with some strength to cling to.

That's all I can do. And so that's exactly what I will do.


[Images by Misty Dawn Photography]
Related Posts with Thumbnails