Thursday, May 9, 2013

Moving On

It's May the 9th. It just occurred to me that April 24th came and went and I didn't give thought to the significance it held - the day in 2007 that we heard the word hydrocephalus for the first time; the day our lives changed.

For the first five years I thought about that day often and would watch the calendar as it would creep closer and closer. And then when the day would arrive I would ceremoniously reflect back on the journey that we have been on thus far. The challenges, the joys, the things we have learned, the people we have met.

There is no doubt that April 24th, 2007 was one of the most significant days in my life. Which is why I am shocked that it passed unnoticed. In my mind, I had considered that a date like unto a birthday or anniversary...one that could never be forgotten...yet it was.

So, while my initial instinct was sadness that I forgot to recognize such an important date, I quickly  realized that it's a good thing. It means that I am moving on. Hydrocephalus has definitely changed our lives, but it does not define our lives. We don't let it consume our every thought and action. Indeed, hydrocephalus and the consequential handicaps that accompanied it (cortical blindness, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, etc...) have become a normal part of everyday life. We don't dwell on them, we just deal with them.

And Elisabeth...well, she is just Elisabeth. When I look at her I don't see her handicaps...I just see her. I forget at times that she differs from others. The fact that she can't see or walk or talk or even eat, it doesn't matter. Those are just details. What matters is her sweet and lovely spirit. What matters is the joy and love that shines from her. What matters is that she is here and she is living and she is happy.

And that is why I have moved on.

 photo a79b6ae3-3e52-4512-8390-cb27a303adb6_zps883f862d.jpg

My thoughts and words on the first five anniversaries:
 

Related Posts with Thumbnails