Wednesday, October 2, 2013

In Stitches

 photo 7857ec41-c7ed-4478-b900-4e178e439bda_zps9917220c.jpg 

Stitches, stitches, everywhere!

I was a little shocked when I saw the incisions. I mean, when Elisabeth had her first shunt surgery the incision was an inch long - at most! So I thought, that's brain surgery, so this won't be much...

And then I discover a total of 21 stitches!

You can't really tell from the picture above, but when you look at Elisabeth you can see a clear outline of the VNS under her skin; a round circle about the size of a silver dollar. And, much like the tubing from her shunt that goes down the right side of her neck, you can feel the wire from the VNS going up the left side. This girl is just full of implants, I tell you! 

Here is a diagram showing the placement of the VNS in her body:

  photo b7a117ef-2847-4c87-a4a6-4438c1d8f367_zpsf1d5e93b.jpg 

The device isn't turned on yet. We want to give Elisabeth a few weeks to heal. 
But once we flip the on switch...we will hope for miracles!
Related Posts with Thumbnails