Thursday, July 14, 2016

I Believe in Good

I have a confession. Lately, headlines don't phase me. They seem to come so frequently, these tragic events, that I have become numb to them.

Today...another tragedy. Dozens upon dozens upon dozens killed senselessly in Nice, France. 'Here we go again...', I thought.

I clicked on a 'Pray For Nice' hashtag and watched a very graphic video of someone walking through the carnage. It made me sick. Immediately I regretted viewing it, knowing that I would never be able to erase those images from my mind. But maybe that's not a bad thing, because that short video clip forced me to face reality. Indeed, it awakened me from a mental state of numbness to a place where I could feel again. And I felt disgusted, nauseous even.

I pondered, 'what now?' What do we do when we are being rained on so hard by the powers of evil? Is there any way to win? Is there any way to overcome it?

And then it hit me...

We fight it with good. Every small moment of joy and every bit of happiness shared is a triumph against evil. Amidst the hate we can keep finding beauty, keep clinging to hope, and keep choosing optimism. We can be gracious, loving, and charitable. And even when the world is loud and chaotic, we can immerse ourselves in moments of quiet and peace.

Good can win. Good will win.  

I believe in good.

 photo IMG_20160710_092757_zpsouhlccig.jpg
[There is an abundance of good in this world. I see it every day. 
Lorelai and Elisabeth, July 5, 2016]
Related Posts with Thumbnails