Friday, April 24, 2009

An Artist and His Art

Grandpa and Walt, working on Pirates of the Caribbean.

My grandfather, Claude Coats, was a Disney artist and imagineer for over 50 years. He took part in creating timeless classics such as Snow White, Cinderella, and Alice in Wonderland, as well as Disneyland rides including The Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, and It's a Small World. He truly was a Disney legend and his art continues to inspire.

With that said, I am pleased to announce the opening of ClaudeCoats.com . Prints from his private art collection are available to the public for the first time ever! Hop on over and check it out....and maybe buy yourself a print....or two....or three. Click here.

My favorite is this number:


The original hangs on a wall in my mother's house. I can remember being a child and studying this painting. I loved everything about it; the rolling green hills, the trotting horses, the whimsical trees, and a dirt road leading off to a little house where I am sure there must have been a homemade pie baking in the oven.

In all honesty, I felt a twinge of sadness when I saw that this was one of the prints available. It holds a special place in my heart and I wasn't sure I wanted it made public. However, I now realize that it would be a shame to keep this treasure hidden from the world. After all, art is to be shared and enjoyed.

My grandpa was a world traveller. In his art studio there was a map where he drew lines from Los Angeles to every destination that he travelled. It was COVERED in lines. I was inspired. I knew that one day I too would have a map; and I do. Mine only has a few lines of course, but there is time. I imagine that most of my travelling will happen after the girls graduate. Donald and I will spend our golden years exploring the world....with Elisabeth by our side, of course.

But back to my grandfather. Many of his paintings are of his travels. I think that you might really enjoy this one:


And especially this one:

(Inspired by his vacation to Antarctica.
I told you...he travelled everywhere!)


Want to see more???
(click below)

ClaudeCoats.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails