Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Life as a Book.

Today I turn 30.

Now, a look back at the pages of my life so far....


Chapter 1: The Childhood Years (0-9yrs)




These were good years. I was raised by good parents in a safe home filled with lots of siblings and plenty of fun. I was given many opportunities to explore and discover my talents and abilities. I was always encouraged to do my best and be my best.


I look back at my childhood with a fond recollection; my favorite years being the 2 we spent in Arizona from 1985-1987. My younger sister and I shared a large room with an enormous window that looked out over the neighborhood. In the backyard we had a pool and I think we rarely got out of our swimming suits. That's life in AZ I suppose.

[Me and my siblings at Disneyworld in '88. Jennifer, Marc, Kristin, Michael, David, and me.]


Chapter 2: The Music Years (10-19yrs)

[On tour with the OCYSO. Paris, 1995.]

When I was 11 years old my mom managed to get me an audition with a first rate violin instructor who lived in San Diego, an hour and a half south of our home in Orange County. Lucky for me, I was accepted as a student.

My mother and I spent the next 6 years traveling 3 hours round trip to my lessons. I felt fortunate to be blessed with such an opportunity; to learn from the best of the best.

Practice was a priority during the music years. It was expected that I practice 3 hours a day on the violin and 1-2 hours on the piano. The school district in which I lived made special arrangements so that I was permitted to be released from school early every day to allow for extra practice time.


When I was in high school my teacher moved out of state. My parents then purchased airline tickets so that I could fly to the university where my teacher was a professor. I would go once a month and spend the weekend at her house where I would receive violin instruction over the course of 2 or 3 days.

The highlight of these years was performing. I auditioned and was accepted to play with several different youth symphonies. We had weekly rehearsals and concerts every few months. On several occasions we toured in Europe, performing in England, France, Hungary, Germany, The Czech Republic, and my favorite...Austria.



[Me in Prague on the 4th of July, 1998]




Chapter 3: The Childbearing Years (20-29 yrs)


I am quite sure that when I am old and gray I will look back on my childbearing years as the best in my life. It was during this past decade that all of my childhood dreams of becoming a wife and a mother turned into a reality.





I married at the young age of 20. It was a bold decision, but one that has made me insanely happy. Life with my husband Donald is filled with kindness, courtesy, and love. He treats me as a queen, I treat him as a king, and together we rule our little kingdom in peace and happiness.

I became a mother for the first time at the age of 22 when Alexandra Louise was born...



again at the age of 24 with the birth of Lorelai Leigh...



and for a final time at 27 with our miracle, Elisabeth Elva.



I spend my days nurturing the children; making sure that they are dressed, fed, and most of all happy. We bake and read and venture out on walks to the neighborhood park. I watch as they explore their talents for music and art and make discoveries about the world around them. Their lives are still consumed with the wonder and whimsy that comes from being a child, and I am cherishing these times of youthful innocence.




Yes, this chapter will be one that I will always look back on with the fondest of memories.



*******



And now I begin chapter 4, and wonder what lies ahead for me? What will define this next decade? I have ideas, of course, but I have learned that life can't be predicted, it can only be lived.



So I will keep on living, and loving, and enjoying.




Chapter 4 begins....


Related Posts with Thumbnails