Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Next Stage of Childhood

 photo b47e51ea-4726-42f3-bde3-e0c41b235394_zpscae44a56.jpg
Alexandra, standing alongside her wardrobe for The Sound of Music. She has seven costume changes!

Last night was fun...so fun! Performing in the orchestra while my daughter was on stage - indescribable. As I was playing I thought back to when she was a baby and I dreamed of her growing and us doing things together - and now here we are. I'll tell you what, being a parent is such an amazing thing. I love watching my children grow and learn. Each phase of childhood has been a treasure: the baby years, the toddler years, the elementary years. Now Alexandra has entered the next stage, she is a little older and a lot more independent.

I don't think I ever mentioned it here on the blog, but auditioning for The Sound of Music was all Alexandra's idea. Every step from deciding to audition, to preparing her audition song, to making sure I was available to drive her - it was all her. And once she made it into the show she took full responsibility for learning her parts, practicing the songs, and keeping track of rehearsals. Indeed, this is the first glimpse I've had at the next stage of childhood

Seeing my child take a step from dependence toward independence; watching her gain confidence; observing as she discovers who she is and what she wants in life - therein lies the greatest joy in parenting.

   photo 41e9e1e1-ce08-4bb4-b7e2-389b60e06371_zps5d586a95.jpg
Related Posts with Thumbnails