Wednesday, December 31, 2014

An Ode to 2014

2014. 

 photo 7b318a7c-693c-473b-af81-0151ab2e7642_zpsb25a8ba4.jpg

As I began this year I took on what was perhaps the biggest challenge of my life: to live chocolate free. In the years leading up to this one I had become nothing short of addicted, eating chocolate all day every day. Do I dare admit that I would buy the 72 oz bag of chocolate chips at Costco and finish them within a week? Chocolate had become my main fuel source. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. 

I knew I needed to make a drastic change. 

So I resolved to go one year without; to rebuild healthy eating habits and treat my body the way I knew I should. I completely changed my health routine: I started practicing yoga again, eating balanced meals, drinking lots of water - and most importantly - I stayed away from chocolate and sweets. 

I expected to see a drastic difference in my physical state. I thought I would lose a ton of weight. Or perhaps I would look in the mirror and see a radiant complexion. Or maybe I would feel different, full of new found energy. But the truth is - none of that happened. My weight more or less stayed the same, my skin looks as it did a year ago, and I don't have any more energy than before.

But even though I didn't notice many physical changes, it doesn't mean that my efforts were for naught. Because that one resolve, the resolve to change one bad habit in my life, ended up changing my whole life. I gained self discipline I never knew I was capable of. I learned that I can do anything, that I have the strength to resist all temptations. I learned that through focus and dedication there is no challenge too hard. And as I have gained this strength, this knowledge, I have felt an unmatched sense of happiness and self respect.

Without a doubt, this has been the greatest year of my life.

Farewell, 2014!
Related Posts with Thumbnails