Friday, February 22, 2008

A Peek At My Past - part 2

Oscar Sunday is this weekend. Oh the memories it brings back. Yes, of my youth, my dreams of Hollywood, my passion for 'the stars', and my longing to be a part of it. So let me take you back, once again, to my teenage years.

The Academy Awards. I considered it the highlight of the year. All of my favorite people gathered together in one place, all glammed up......the gowns, the jewelry, the hair. I had to be there...of course.

So one year I decided I would. I recruited my dear brother to drive me. Naive little Lisa.....I thought that showing up 6 hours early would be sufficient enough to claim a place to 'star gaze'. Oh was I wrong. The crowds!!! We ended up not too far outside the Shrine Auditorium, but it was to watch the celebs pull up in their limos, get out, and give us a quick wave before proceeding through the gate. Next year I would plan better. I wanted some red carpet action!

I was prepared from there on out. I would gather a group of friends as crazy as myself and show up 2 days early to claim a place in line. After camping out for one night I would be awarded a bracelet allowing me entry to the bleachers . The catch: once you are in, there is no leaving or you lose your spot. So this meant a second night of sleeping out in the open air.....on bleachers.


But finally the moment would arrive.....after 48 hours of waiting and anticipation. Limos would pull up, actors and actresses would make their way down the red carpet, and I would cheer and snap pictures as quickly as I could.





Best Oscar moment for me? Definately when I gave Tom Hanks that T-Shirt I mentioned in this post. Good times.

Now that I am 'so old and wise' I look back and think, "I can't believe I did that". Wait in line for 2 days just to see some people that act in movies??? Not so much anymore. And the even greater question that I have (now that I am a parent and see things from a parental point of view) Why in the world did my mother let me camp out in the middle of Los Angeles? If my girls approach me in their teenage years and tell me that they want to go with their friends and hang out on the streets of Hollywood for a few nights I will say "I don't think so!". But I am glad she did. It was a thrill at the time and created great memories and great photos for me to look back on.

So enjoy the Academy Awards this Sunday. And pay attention to those people in the stands along the red carpet. Now you know a little bit of what they have been through to be where they are.



One of my most prized possessions: my grandfather's Academy membership card.
Related Posts with Thumbnails