Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Special Child

My neighbor came over from across the street yesterday to hand deliver a poem that she had come across. I was deeply moved by it...and by the fact that she wanted to share it with me. Have a read:

Heaven's Very Special Child

A meeting was held quite far from earth
"It's time again for another birth"
Said the angels to the Lord above.
"This special child will need much love.

Her progress may seem slow,
Accomplishments she may not show,
And she'll require much extra care
From the folks she meets down there.

She may not run or laugh or play
Her thoughts may seem quite far away.
In many ways she won't adapt...
And she'll be known as "handicapped".

So let's be careful where she's sent.
We want her life to be content.
Please, Lord, find the parents who
Will do a special job for you.

They will not realize right away
The leading role they're asked to play
But with this child sent from above
Comes stronger faith and richer love.

And soon they'll know the privilege given
In caring for this gift from heaven,
Their precious charge so meek and mild
Is heaven's very special child.

You may have noticed that I put certain words and phrases into italics. Those are the parts that I really identified with; the parts where I said, "yes, that's how it is for us".


Elisabeth has her ups and downs. The good news is that yesterday was her very first spasm-free day since May 4! I have been longing for this day to arrive...and beginning to think it would never come. I doubt the spasms are over, and in all honesty I may have just missed seeing them, but it's still encouraging . {Note, she did still have quite a few absence seizures...but I'm not too worried about those. }

The not-so-good news is that she is really struggling with eating solids {and by solids I mean Gerber's Rice Cereal}. She was starting to get the hang of it a few weeks back, but then she lost it. When I put a bite of food in her mouth she has no concept of what it is or what she should do with it.

Will she learn to eat? Or will she be on a liquid diet forever?

Time will tell. But oh how I want her to know the joy of food! There is such a wide variety of textures and flavors for her to discover and enjoy. And with her lack of vision I think she deserves to enjoy her sense of taste.

So I'll carry on with my efforts. We'll attempt feedings every morning and night, and maybe one of these days I'll have exciting news to share. I won't give up....ever.
Related Posts with Thumbnails