Friday, November 21, 2008

Our 'New' Car

Last weekend my husband took me for a spin in this:

For those of you that read Donald's blog you know all about this car. It is our newly acquired 1971 Chevy Nova.

But this isn't any old Chevy Nova {trust me, I would not allow an old hunk of junk to take up residence in our garage}. This happens to be the exact car that my grandmother bought back in 1971. She owned it for something like 25 years and then my siblings and I drove it during high school. Yep, it was my ride.

So you see, this car holds a certain sentimental value with me. I smile every time I walk into the garage and see this piece of my family history. And I never would have imagined that one day I would stand in the front yard of my own home and watch my own husband drive down the street with my own little girls buckled into the backseat. I love that life keeps moving and changing...yet some things stay the same. There is comfort in that.

A few weeks ago I said to Donald, "Maybe the girls will drive it when they are in high school."

Donald looked at me with a smirk and said, "I don't think so." {he is already very protective of his new 'project'}

"Well, what if it's spirit week and they are having a '70s day?" I asked.

"Maybe" Donald replied.

So there you have it:

A new car,
an old car,
a classic car,
a family heirloom,
and Donald's new pastime....
all rolled together in one.

Isn't it wonderful??

{4 days...no spasms!}


Related Posts with Thumbnails