Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Training


After a 6 week hiatus from running {due to extremely low temperatures}, the time {and temperature} came to get back to work.

I have committed to running in the Salt Lake City Half Marathon on April 18th. So for the next 13 weeks I will be putting myself through a grueling training schedule.

As was to be expected, last nights jog was not easy, or fun. While running, my thoughts wandered quite a bit. At one point I asked myself 'why am I doing this'? And fortunately, since I was alone with my thoughts, I was able to provide an answer.

On January 2nd I wrote that I have everything that I have ever wanted. This is true. But achieving my childhood goals does not mean that I stop making new ones. Life is meant to be lived and experienced. Happiness is found through self-discipline and hard work. There is so much that I can still learn and achieve. So while I am sure that the next 3 months will be near torturous, I can't help but think of all that I will gain through the experience; endurance, strength, and self-control {to name a few}. And that is why I am doing this.

"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves.
It teaches us to push beyond
where we thought we could go.
It helps us to find out what we are made of.
This is what we do.
This is what it's all about."
~ PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

Related Posts with Thumbnails