Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Story About a Doll



One day, a long time ago, Alexandra announced that she wanted a new American Girl doll. Donald and I were quick to tell her that if she really wanted one, she would have to save up and buy it with her own money.

I didn't really expect her to go through with it, but she saved and saved, carefully tucking her dollars and coins into an assortment of wallets and piggy banks. The months ticked by and I was touched by her determination to achieve her goal.

As her birthday month got closer I toyed with the idea of buying the doll for her, but I quickly dismissed it. I would be doing her a great disservice by giving her the doll. I would be taking away the opportunity for her to learn several life lessons; lessons about hard work, sacrifice, self-discipline, and the value of a dollar.

Last week she announced to me that she had done it, she had saved $95.00. She emptied all her money out onto her bedroom floor and began to hand it over to me (so that I could make the purchase on her behalf).

As she was collecting her last handfuls of coins I told her not to worry about it; to keep that bit for herself.

"No Mom, I want to buy it all on my own and without this money there won't be enough."

So I accepted the piles of change and she told me exactly which American Girl doll she wanted to call her own.

For the past week she has kept a close eye on our front porch, anxiously awaiting the arrival of her new friend.

Finally, the moment came. As we pulled in the driveway I looked over and spotted a rectangular box standing next to the front door. I told her to look over at the porch and she squealed with delight.

Luckily, she held off tearing into the box until I could get my camera in my hands. This was a moment that I wanted to capture:





I am grateful for Alexandra's great determination and self-discipline.

Related Posts with Thumbnails