Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Hills are Alive


[a snapshot of Austria through the bus window]

Yesterday morning I had some housework to get done and I told Lorelai that she could watch The Sound of Music until I finished.

I went into my bathroom and began cleaning. A minute or so later, I heard the movie come on. It begins with the simple sounds of nature; the wind blowing and birds chirping.....and builds until we see Maria on the hilltops of Austria singing 'The hills are alive with the sound of music'.

While listening to the movie I couldn't help but think back to a day (a number of years ago) when I was in Europe with two of my brothers. We were traveling from Germany into Austria on a tour bus when we thought we heard the faint sound of birds chirping. And then loud and clear came the sound of Julie Andrews voice over the bus speakers. To be funny, our tour guide had put the soundtrack of The Sound of Music on as we were crossing over the border into Austria. That was one of my favorite moments of the trip and we all had a good laugh about it.

Here is an excerpt from an entry I wrote in my travel journal that day:

I had a magnificent day. After my traditional bread, butter, and honey breakfast, we packed up the bus and headed towards Austria.

Michael and I talked with Craig (our tour guide) for quite a while on the bus. He told us about all of his adventures in Australia, Monaco, England, etc. The funny thing was when he told me that I look like an Olympic swimmer (I don't see it).

Well, after riding the bus for a while we stopped at the Austrian border where they had to pay a bus tax. Then it was on to Salzburg. This is my favorite European city. The atmosphere is so neat. We took a tour through the city and visited Mozart's birthplace and home of 17 years.

For lunch us kids bought pretzels at a street stand and some orange 7-up. We sat on the steps of an old chapel while we ate - it was so enjoyable.....


Good times, good times. Oh, and the hills....they really were alive. Beautiful.
Related Posts with Thumbnails