Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thoughts on Self-Improvement

Photobucket

A few months ago I toyed with the idea of quitting the symphony; I was overwhelmed with rehearsals and just wanted to be home raising my children (while they are still young and want me around). Of course I quickly dismissed the idea; I just love performing too much. But I did commit to myself to accept less gigs (ironically I type this just one day after saying yes to a gig in two weeks....ahh well, the pay is good).

And then....

Last week I was on the phone with my mom and we were discussing how important it is to keep up with things as we get older. In my case, me and my music. I put so much effort into my musical studies while I was young and I mustn't let my skills slip away. If I were to quit the symphony, even if my intention was for it to only be a few years, I fear that I would never get back into it. Once you stop something, it's hard to pick it up again. And then my mom mentioned how it's also important for my children to see me play so it will reinforce to them the importance of developing and using talents (a practice what I preach thing, I suppose).

And then...

A few days ago I went and listened to one of my best friends, Yasmine, as she performed a solo voice recital. Uhhh....hello....can we say talent?! It reminded me of the time I saw Sarah Brightman sing in concert, only better because this time I had a front row seat and my daughter was sitting next to me.

Yasmine's performance was flawless and I left the recital completely inspired; here is one of my peers, who is a mother and music teacher like myself, but she is continuing in her own musical studies. She takes lessons and competes. How fabulous is that?

So after pondering my own situation I realized that I have gotten a little lazy with my own musical abilities. I do perform with the symphony and at weddings and things like that all the time...but I don't push myself. I am just staying in my comfort zone; which is okay...but like I said, Yasmine inspired me to do more.

So, here's the plan...

Last year on my summer to-do list I wrote that I wanted to learn Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca on the piano. I chose that piece of music because it has always been one of my absolute favorite classical works. I can listen to it over and over again and never tire of hearing it. But alas, as the summer progressed I found myself taking the children swimming and planning picnics to the park while my goal to learn Rondo Alla Turca became forgotten...

So I have recommitted myself to learning it. And to add extra pressure I am announcing an online recital:

Please join me here at
The Far Side of Complexity
on
Thursday the 2nd day of September 2010
as I perform
Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca
(courtesy of YouTube)

Now that I have totally put myself out there let me add this little disclaimer:

Piano is hard for me (unlike the violin which comes a little more naturally). Also, because piano is challenging for me I am giving myself plenty of time to learn it (which is why my concert isn't until the end of the summer).

I will not guarantee a lightening speed tempo, I will not guarantee that I won't stumble across the keys (I didn't earn the nickname ol' butterfingers for nothing). I will guarantee that I will try my hardest.

And with that I must excuse myself....I'm off to practice!

Photobucket


[Thanks to Michelle for the penny-farthing bicycle necklace I am wearing!]
Related Posts with Thumbnails