Monday, May 17, 2010

A Full Tummy

Good news: we're home.

Home, home, home.


More good news: Elisabeth has a full tummy again.

Full, full, full.



Full as in a 24-hour-continuous-feed-full.

Photobucket
[Elisabeth's feeding tube and pump. The alarm goes off when it runs empty, and so when I took this photo I was on my way to change it out.]

I am so happy with the decision we made to go with the g-tube. It's so exciting to know that your child is actually getting all the nourishment they need; especially after struggling with it for several months. One day while I was at the hospital I was on the phone with my mom and I said,

"It is amazing! Every baby should have something like this". And then she said, "They do, it's called their mouth."

Oh ya....I get so used to Elisabeth that I forget that the mouth is usually a pretty good option when it comes to feeding! lol!

So yes, I love the g-tube. I must admit though, when we first got home from the hospital I was overwhelmed. It was that feeling that you get when you're a first time mom and you bring your new baby home. I was staring at Elisabeth and all of these new supplies and I panicked a bit; there was no nurse call button, no doctors doing rounds at 6am, just me. And suddenly I couldn't remember a thing they had taught me and I may have freaked out just a little. Fortunately, they set me up with a home care agency for Elisabeth and their 24 hour help line talked me through everything and assured me that she would survive (and so would I).

And sure enough, slowly but surely, I'm figuring out all this new g-tube business; it still seems rather complicated with decompressing her stomach and meds and flushing and priming the tubing....but I am 100% sure that it will be second nature to me within the week. The biggest trouble I am having right now is keeping the tube plugged in. I can't tell you how many times I have been holding her to suddenly realize that I have PediaSure leaking all over me...that thing pops out way to easily. Any ideas?

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
[Elisabeth's one month supply of food.]
Related Posts with Thumbnails