Thursday, November 18, 2010

Home of the Hearing and Vision Impaired



For starters, is that not the most adorable school picture in the history of school pictures?! I just about died when I saw it. They did a great job cropping the photo - you would never know that her teacher was holding her up from behind and I was to the side doing everything in my power to get her to look up (and interested) rather than hang her head down like she usually does.

And how about those glasses?! She is actually starting to leave them on. Doesn't she look studious? Ha! I love it!

So now you are thinking, 'yes we know Elisabeth is visually impaired (old news) - but what's this in the title about 'hearing impaired'?'

Well....get this....we found out yesterday that Lorelai has hearing loss in her right ear.

It all started exactly two years ago. I actually wrote about it in a post called Medical Updates (click here to go back and read it. Scroll down to the part about Lorelai's audiology appt).

Anyways, long story short, Lorelai had all these holes in the tympanic membrane of her right ear. The weirdest thing ever - it didn't look at all like a 'normal' perforated ear drum. Nobody at the audiology office had ever seen anything like it. But her hearing checked out perfect so we just decided to keep an eye on it (or perhaps in this case keep an ear on it...ha ha).

But two years later the holes are still there and now she does have hearing loss and they don't know why (yet) or if it will stay stable or if it will get worse.

Always something, right?

At least now she has a built in excuse to give me when I ask her things like, 'why didn't you clean your room when I asked you to?'

"I didn't hear you mom"

I'll just be careful to talk into her left ear...especially when saything things like, 'clean your room'.




Related Posts with Thumbnails