Friday, February 11, 2011

Swedish Moccasins

Elisabeth does not walk. And - with the exception of a miracle occurring - she never will walk. So, I refuse to put shoes on her. In my opinion, shoes are bulky and uncomfortable, so why make her wear them if she has absolutely no use for them?

Still though, as last Fall approached I was desperately searching for something for her to wear in place of shoes. I didn't like the idea of sending her off to school in nothing but a pair of socks - it just didn't seem warm enough.

I tried a few different pairs of slippers, but the trouble was with Elisabeth's deformed legs/feet. Her feet don't form a right angle to her legs like one would normally have, but they stay in a permanent extended position - like a ballerina in point shoes. And because of that deformity, slippers just seemed to slip right off.

That's when I found the perfect solution: Swedish moccasins from Hanna Andersson. They are handmade in Sweden and have leather soles. Plus, because the upper-half of the moccasin is made of a thick, sock-like material, it stays on and adds plenty of warmth.

So far I have purchased two pairs, and I plan to keep on buying more as she grows (they make them in big-kid sizes too!)

I love finding perfect solutions, don't you?






Related Posts with Thumbnails