Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Starfish

A few weeks ago Lorelai came home from school and asked if Elisabeth had any old socks that she didn't need anymore.

"Oh, probably," I replied. "Why do you need her socks?"

"I imagined something."

She proceeded to tell me the details of a toy that she had imagined for Elisabeth; a starfish made of socks.

I was intrigued and told her to go ahead and gather whatever socks she needed - because if there's one thing that I have learned as a parent, it's that a child's creative inspirations should
be encouraged.

Later that night - after bedtime - I found both girls together in Alexandra's room. Lorelai had commissioned her to do some sewing. And, even though it was well past bedtime, I let them continue. Not long after that they came down and showed me this:



Is that not the most adorable starfish you have ever seen? 6 little socks, stuffed with construction paper and stitched together [with love].

They introduced it to Elisabeth the next day but she politely rejected it (she'll only play with a few select toys). Until yesterday. She suddenly discovered it and laughed and laughed and giggled and giggled.

I have a feeling that Elisabeth has a new favorite toy.


Related Posts with Thumbnails