Friday, June 3, 2011

Around the World with Jennifer

Welcome to a new series I will host on my blog titled,

Around the World
with
Jennifer

Jennifer - who I am proud to call my sister - is an archaeologist by profession; a female Indiana Jones, if you will (should we just call her Indiana Jenn??). Always off on an adventure of some sort, she's agreed to take us along for the ride, here at The Far Side of Complexity.

Today, she is guest posting from the Indonesian island of Bali:



Greetings from Bali!

Many of you may know Bali from Eat, Pray, Love or from Margaret Mead's famous anthropological work in the early/mid 1900's. What brings me to Bali is a yoga teacher training program. I've been here for 2 1/2 weeks and have 2 1/2 more to go. Here are a few tidbits on what is quickly becoming my favorite place in the world:

  • Bali has THE BEST food. Everyone I've spoken to (all international and well traveled) agree on this point. Everything from traditional Balinese to raw food diets, organic, vegan, sushi, Indian.... you name it, the best of the best is in Bali. All fresh and healthy. (Unfortunately this means I'm putting on weight, lol).
  • Every five feet you will get asked if you need a taxi. "Hello? Taxi? Yes? Taxi?" EVERY FIVE FEET, no joke.
  • It is a huge rarity to hear an unkind word spoken, or even a mean look. People are just generally happy here.
  • No matter how careful you are, you have a 50/50 chance of getting "Bali Belly" (AKA traveler's diarrhea) ...luck did not favor me on this one.
  • Bali time. I seriously have no idea what day of the week it is... and that's a beautiful thing. Bali time is slow and relaxed. No worries. A half hour in Bali doesn't necessarily mean a half hour.
  • Unlike most cultures, discounts are NOT given to friends/acquaintances. The more you get to know someone the more they hike up the price for their services/product. I'm still trying to figure out the logic on this one....
  • There is tons to do here! Museums, Balinese dances, rafting, hiking, biking, snorkeling, visiting traditional healers, bathing baby elephants, bargain shopping, the best and CHEAPEST massages (maybe 10 bucks for an hour), surfing, and even a Jazz cafe.... the list goes on and on.
  • Offerings of gratitude (or to ward off bad mojo) are everywhere: on the sidewalk, on statues, cars ...EVERYWHERE. At least three times a day the Balinese take the time to offer thanks in the manner of small food offerings on woven palm leaves and burning incense. How often do we Westerner's take the time to show thanks? Such a lovely practice to embrace.
  • The Balinese LOVE flying kites. At any given time of day you can look up and see multiple kites flying. It reminds me of that wonderful last scene of Mary Poppins (both me and Lisa's favorite movie) in which everyone is flying a kite; a metaphor for taking the time to stop and enjoy life and to know what REALLY matters. So every time I see the kites in Bali it gives me a smile - maybe we should all be on "Bali time."

Thanks for letting me share my experience with you all! Bali is a lovely place and I will miss it when I leave.

p.s. If you're thinking of visiting, don't come smack in the middle of summer - I hear Bali is overrun with tourists and the traffic is ridiculous. Just don't come.
Related Posts with Thumbnails