Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Story About Corn Nuts

 photo 40c91b67-0a01-400e-b0af-d67fcf59744e_zpsfe9b41a7.jpg 
[Elisabeth and I drove past the building where she was born while we were in Spokane yesterday.]

Yesterday, I woke up knowing exactly what I expected of the day:

~ get the big kids off to school
~ take a day trip to Spokane with Elisabeth
~ get home in time to pick up the girls
~ drop them off at guitar and gymnastics lessons
~ pick up Lex from guitar
~ take Lex to karate
~ take myself to the gym
~ swing by and pick up Lorelai from gymnastics
~ go back and get Lex from karate
~ home
~ dinner
~ bed

Whew. 

Did you follow that? Like I said, I had it orchestrated to perfection.

That's before I met my doom with Corn Nuts.

Whenever I have a trip to Spokane with Elisabeth on the docket, Donald stocks the car with snacks for me to munch on. Yesterday's stash included corn nuts and a king size chocolate bar. Which explains why sandwiched in between 'take Lex to Karate' and 'pick up Lorelai from gymnastics' I scheduled a trip to the gym for myself!

Anyways, as I was eating said corn nuts, I suddenly realized that my tooth was gone! I was still about an hour and a half from home and I sort of started to freak out (remember, I have dental phobia). So apparently I swallowed my tooth - or fragments of it - with my corn nuts. Needless to say, I will never eat corn nuts again!

So the next thing I know I am in the dentists chair. And I kept thinking, "What am I doing here? I am not supposed to be here. This was not on my schedule for the day." 

But that's how life is, isn't it? As hard as we try to plan and prepare, we just never know what's waiting around the corner. 18 months ago I had no idea that I was about to adopt a little girl from Ethiopia. 7 years ago I had no idea that I was about to become an expert in things like shunts and seizures. 15 years ago I had no idea that I was about to move to the state of Washington.

We always end up in places we don't expect, that's the way life is. Yesterday it was the dentist chair. And who knows what today will bring. Of course, I have my list...but I suppose it is more of a guideline, really. What I have learned is that life can't be planned - it can only be lived.



Reminder: Watch my brothers music video to help him make it to the top 100. 
Views count as votes! Thank you!
Related Posts with Thumbnails