Monday, December 16, 2013

Generosity - It's All The Rage!

Let me tell you something about myself: I am a talented lecturer.

It's true - ask my kids.

One morning last week, as I was driving them to school, I set in on one of my world famous lectures. This time the theme was, be selfless; think of others before yourself. Truthfully, this is something that they need to work on (as do I).

I started explaining how becoming selfless and generous would transform them; how they would not only see the results of their effors in the happiness they bring to others, but how they themselves would become happier, too.

As an example I told them that I had read several stories lately about people paying for the person behind them in a drive thru line. The incentive is not personal recognition (thus the anonymity) - but simply to spread good cheer. It really seems to be becoming a trend - how wonderful is that!?

About that time I pulled into the drive thru line at Starbucks - cold December mornings sometimes call for peppermint hot chocolate. I ordered three child's size cocoas and proceeded forward. When I reached the window I handed my debit card to the cashier but she stopped me.

"The person in front of you paid for yours, she said you were a good mom to get hot chocolates for your children."

I couldn't believe it!

This is the kind of thing you hear and read about - but I never expected it to happen to me, much less minutes after I used that exact example to teach my children the concept of giving to others. The girls couldn't believe it either, their jaws dropped! It was almost like it was planned - but it wasn't. I told them to stop and think about how they felt at that moment: happy and excited. Then I reminded them that by doing good deeds they, too, could spread joy.

I am so grateful to the patron in front of us. They will never know just how much their act of kindness meant, and how they perfectly illustrated a lesson that I am quite sure my children will never forget. 

 photo e57be9a3-5f56-4ef7-8146-659c798497de_zpsd072001e.jpg
Related Posts with Thumbnails