Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Love, Life, and Elephants

 photo 94107f2d-b3de-4269-87cd-f64e7e93f158_zps7384342b.jpg

So, I'm reading a book right now titled, Love, Life and Elephants: An African Love Story. At first I was bored and forced myself to keep going (because I have a habit of abandoning books mid-read these days). I felt the story dragged, I felt there was too much detail, I felt no connection to what I was reading.

And then something happened.

I began loving it.

You see, this is not fiction, but rather the memoir of a woman, Daphne Sheldrick, who reared orphaned wildlife in Kenya; animals who otherwise would have met their doom. And as I thought of it as her story, and not just a book written to entertain, I became engrossed in it. Her life in Tsavo seemed to capture a strange balance between danger and hardship and beauty and whimsy. Mrs. Sheldrick sets an example on living bravely and boldly, and I hope to live my own life in the manner that she did.


In other news...

I'm performing with a string quartet tonight at some event for some company - I really don't know the details other than I am supposed to show up with my viola and play, so that's what I'll do. We are performing some brilliant music, including Dvořák's String Quartet No. 12 in F major, Op. 96 "American". The best part is that the viola starts it off with an amazing little melody. 

Here, have a listen:

Related Posts with Thumbnails