Sunday, June 1, 2008

Update

Elisabeth is doing great. The side effects that we were worried about haven't really effected her (woohoo!!). The one change that I have seen is in her appetite. They told me it would increase and boy were they right! She has doubled her intake!

The two week treatment severely compromised her immune system. So they have Elisabeth in isolation to protect her. They also placed her in the surgical unit so that she is not around sick children. I am a little nervous about taking her home in this condition. I'll just have to be extra careful and avoid taking her out into public.

She is still having the spasms, but we are hoping that the treatment will stop them soon. The doctor said that the ACTH that is being injecting into Elisabeth costs $10,000 per vial! My jaw dropped when I heard that. There is an 80% chance that it will cure her of these spasms. I should hope so at that price :)

My friend Sherri, who also has a child with hydrocephalus, left me a comment about enjoying the 'one on one' time with Elisabeth. I had already been thinking about how wonderful these past 3 days have been. I get to snuggle her by the hour without feeling like I should be cooking dinner or cleaning the house. I have enjoyed every minute of it being just me and my baby. A blessing in disguise.
Related Posts with Thumbnails