Friday, January 2, 2009

Birthday Thoughts


As of 6:20 this morning I have officially been alive for 29 years. Really? Is that all? I feel like I have been around forever. Of course, my existence is all that I know, so logically it would seem like forever.

In honor of the occasion I reflected back to last years birthday post. I had written a short essay on simplicity and how it is the key to my happy life. So what now? What else can I say about my understanding of life and of living? Contentment. Complete satisfaction in every aspect of life. I can honestly say that I have everything that I ever wanted.

As a child I dreamt of being a wife and mother. I thought of my future children and how I would dress them in matching clothes and carefully comb their hair so that they looked well kept and loved. I imagined tucking them into bed at night and enjoying quiet evenings with my husband. I pictured my home and how I would have neatly made beds and a parlor filled with instruments. I envisioned sitting at my piano in the mornings, playing familiar old tunes while sunlight flooded the room. Ahh...the life it would be...

Those were my dreams....and those are my realities. I have fulfilled everything I set out to do in life, and now...now I enjoy. I sit back and soak it all in. The husband, the children, the home...it's all mine and it makes me so happy that I could burst! Life has been good to me, especially the past year and a half. There are no words to explain how Elisabeth has changed me. She is perfect, absolutely perfect. And she makes me want to be a better person...a little kinder and a little wiser. The responsibility of having a child like her has forced me to grow and learn in many ways. Obviously, I know more about the human brain than I ever would have known if it weren't for her. But more importantly, she has helped me step out of my comfort zone. A once shy and uncertain me has figured out that you have to be assertive and aggressive in life. The world is waiting for you...you just have to go get it.

So now I work towards my thirtieth year with the hope that I can continue to grow, continue to learn, and more importantly, continue to find contentment in the life in which I live. A happy life, a good life, a simple life. 29 years so far.
Related Posts with Thumbnails