Friday, May 15, 2009

Neighbors

Last Saturday was a somber day on our street. Our next door neighbors moved away. And these weren't just any neighbors....these were extraordinary neighbors. The kind of neighbors that would make Mr. Rogers proud.

Now, I must say that I can't complain too much, because they only moved across the neighborhood (to a home that accommodates their family better). But that won't be the same as having them next door.



These are the kind of people that you can count on for anything; a cup of sugar, babysitting (they are among the few people that I will leave Elisabeth with), and sticking up for us when other neighbors are annoyed with our dogs (that's a whole other post). We share the same values and the same faith. They have three girls (and a boy) and we have three girls (and no boy). As you can see, we were the perfect fit as neighbors.

I teach violin and cello to their two oldest children. I have loved the flexibility of just sending Lorelai over with a message that 'I am ready to teach now'. And my favorite thing about having students next door has been the countless nights when they showed up on my doorstep, in pajamas, instrument in hand, asking for some help with their practice.


I will miss seeing the kids have conversations over the fence; my girls on our playset, and their girls on theirs. I will miss arriving home to see messages and letters on our front doorstep held down tight with a heavy rock. I will miss the security that comes from having people you trust so close by.


The day before they moved we had their girls over for a few hours (see pics above). We kept telling Alexandra and Lorelai to enjoy every minute because now these things had to be arranged; no more running next door to see if they are home.

It's been almost a week now...and it still hasn't sunk in. At least not for Lorelai. She has asked countless times if she can go next door. Each time I gently remind her that they aren't there anymore. 'Oh ya,' she replies in a disappointed tone.

I'd better start planning some play dates.


Farewell 'C' family.

We'll see you around
the neighborhood.

(A new family moves in today. We're keeping our fingers crossed.)
Related Posts with Thumbnails