Wednesday, August 26, 2009

|It Started Off Like Any Other Morning....|

Yesterday, Lorelai woke up, wandered downstairs (while clinging to her favorite blanket), requested a bowl of cereal, and proceeded to blow bubbles in her milk using a red vine.


Fast forward to late morning; the children are dressed, their hair is combed, and we are all buckled into the van and driving to the mall to make some final back-to-school purchases.

As usual, I ask Lorelai, "Do you want to get your ears pierced?" More out of habit than anything; it's become custom. And she always answers with, "Maybe when I am 10" and then I say, "Okay" and we carry on with our day.

Today was different. After posing my standard question, Lorelai answered, "Maybe when I'm 5."

Right then and there I knew she was feeling courageous, and just a minute or so later she came back with, "Actually, I do want to get my ears pierced today."

Had it not been for the confidence in her voice I would have expected her to back out of it. But she didn't. She calmly picked out a pair of stud earrings and took a seat in the chair. One, two, three.... her ears were instantly adorned with small yellow jewels.

And the rest of the day sparkled.



Related Posts with Thumbnails