Thursday, November 11, 2010

Queen of Christmas (or not)


[Alexandra, Christmas 2003]

Do you realize that Christmas is only 6 weeks away? And do you realize that there are only 2 and a half weeks left until my shopping deadline? I have successfully hit my shopping deadline, December 1st, for the past few years and it makes for an enjoyable, stress-free, Christmas season. But this year I am a little dry on ideas for gifts. Usually my head is swimming with thoughts on what to buy my little ones, but I have hit a wall.

So yesterday morning I asked Alexandra, "What do you want for Christmas this year?"

"What do you mean?"
she replied.

"Well, what do you really want or need?"

She thought for a couple of seconds and said,

"I don't need anything, I have everything."

This was most definitely not the response I had expected. I had expected something a little more like Ann Estelle's Christmas list in Mary Engelbreit's Queen of Christmas (one of my all time favorite Christmas stories). But no, nothing.

Now mind you, I was more than pleased about this. It meant that she is content, that she realizes that true happiness comes from enjoying what you have and not in forever wanting more.

But....I still need to do some Christmas shopping. It's tradition, and I love tradition.

Luckily, as I lay on the family room floor last night, enjoying the warmth of the fire and the glow of the flames, I did think up a few ideas. Some ideas that - I think - will make for a magical Christmas morning.

But first, I need to shop....
Related Posts with Thumbnails