Sunday, January 2, 2011

Birthday Thoughts ~ 2011

ad-ven-ture: noun

1: an undertaking, usually involving danger and unknown risks.

2: an exciting or remarkable experience.


I have never been one for adventure - I'm more of a play-it-safe kind of girl. In fact, if there was a 'Mrs. Play-it-Safe USA' I'm sure I'd win the crown. For example: I plan everything, I only eat things I am familiar with, and I freak out when Donald does things like turn off the main road and drive down a dirt path (This happened yesterday- when I was still 30- and I think I almost hyperventilated.)

But today, today I turn 31, and I wonder if a little change is in order? Perhaps I'm missing out on some of life's richest experiences because I am not willing to step outside my comfort zone? What would happen if I didn't always have a plan? And what if that strange item on the menu is actually delicious? And maybe, just maybe, driving down that dirt road will show me the view of a lifetime. I won't know until I do it.

Which is why I am devoting this year of my life to adventure; to doing things a little different, to spreading my wings, to being spontaneous, and to taking the road less traveled (literally and figuratively).

And what better way to start this resolution than to finally do something I've been talking about for years....

Audition for
The Amazing Race!

You see, I am a fan. A huge fan. A 'seen-every-episode-ever-made' kind of fan. And for the past 17 seasons I have said, 'I want to do that'.

So, I joined forces with my partner in crime (a.k.a. Jennifer) and got to work. We each filled out a 13 page application, snapped some photos, made copies of passports and created (with major help from our brother, Michael) an audition tape (for season 19).

Now, I am realistic, I know that our application will join thousands of others in hopes of running the race...but I also know that 'There's nothin' to it but to do it!' (I picked that phrase up from Jennifer). So that's it - we did it! And while chances are that I'll never hear back from CBS, I feel good knowing that I put myself out there.

It's going to be a great year,
2011 and my 31st.

I'm off to celebrate!


p.s. I am strongly considering posting our audition tape. We got a chuckle out of it. (Have you seen those 'Most interesting man in the world' commercials? It's a take off on that. Ha!)
Related Posts with Thumbnails