Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Neurosurgery Update

I would like to make an announcement: I am now 4 weeks post-op!

Do you know what that should mean? It should mean that I only have two more weeks of wearing my brace. Because that was the plan all along, right? That I wear the back brace for the first six weeks?

Ya, that's what I thought too...but no.

We were in the middle of my appointment and Dr. G said,

"So, we're going to have you keep the brace on for 3 months."


??!??!???!!!???

Oh man you should have seen the look on my face, I'm sure it must have been priceless.

My very first thought was that he was joking - but then I immediately realized that surgeons (in general) are not the joking type. My very next thought was that he was making a mistake - but that thought was also immediately expunged as I reminded myself that neurosurgeons do not make mistakes. (And if you have a neurosurgeon who does make mistakes I strongly recommend you find yourself a new one.)

So that's that. 3 months.

(ugghh)

In other news my spine is growing together splendidly. We looked at the x-ray that was taken one day post-op and compared it to the x-ray taken yesterday. It's absolutely fascinating to me - all of this. I look at those x-rays and I see a cage screwed into my spine and I am in awe; in awe of modern medicine.

Look at these pics - aren't you in awe too?



[X-ray taken the day after surgery on September 28th.]
[Yes, I have a crooked spine.]


And, while we are on the subject of my spine I must take a moment to brag. Dr. G says that I have extremely strong bones. So strong that he had a heck of a time actually getting that cage to screw in. Ha ha....he said that it was so much work that he actually had to change scrubs before he could go meet Donald in the waiting room because he was soaked in sweat (eww...gross)



[X-ray taken this Monday, the 24th of October.]





[Dr. G showing us a replica of the cage he screwed into my spine. I'm glad it was a pretty color.]

By the way, Dr. G says that we're on 'the family plan' - ha ha...I don't think he has mother/daughter appointments too often. Too bad he doesn't have some special going where you pay for a brain surgery and get a spinal surgery half off. That would be nice....

Okay, that's all for today. More on Elisabeth's half of the appointment later.
Related Posts with Thumbnails