Thursday, June 13, 2013

Why Did Elisabeth Cross the Road?

To get to the E.R.! 

 photo 3a96b82b-6d54-4d02-8e78-16a5ba090879_zps29335ccd.jpg 
[A picture from Tuesday's visit]
  
Last week a brand new Emergency Room opened in my town. And it's just minutes from my house. This is big news - exciting news - for a family like ours that frequents ER's. I mean, I've already been there each of the last three days. One doctor joked that we need a punch card. I think that's a dandy idea. 

Anyways, aside from the fact that it's close to my home and brand new, I am excited because the ER is directly across the street from Elisabeth's elementary school. How perfect, right?! 

Yesterday afternoon, Elisabeth's school nurse called to discuss items pertaining to her health plan for next year. At one point in the conversation I mentioned the new ER, 

"It's so wonderful! If you need to, you can just run her across the street!" 

"Oh, no, we couldn't do that, we would have to call an ambulance to take her." 

Say what?! 

I then proceeded to tell her all the reasons why I thought that was ridiculous. I have a child who stops breathing during seizures. That child has seizures all day long. You're telling me that they would just sit around and wait for an ambulance to arrive....to load her in and drive out of one parking lot and into another? The nurse insisted that's the way it is. She then suggested that I talk to the ER about making a specialized plan for Elisabeth (since I was on my way there anyways) (three times this week, remember?).

So I went to the ER with Elisabeth (she was having trouble with a sky-high white blood count), and I brought up the topic of the elementary school. Unfortunately, they said that the school was right. An ambulance would have to bring her over for fear something might happen as they crossed the street. 

Ugh. 

Sometimes rules and regulations completely get in the way of common sense.
 
 photo 3d6b8812-b475-4e3f-9ba3-73673832091c_zpsfa3e8259.jpg 

[Elisabeth and I, snuggling after arriving home from the ER. 
Hopefully we are done there for the week. Fingers crossed.]
Related Posts with Thumbnails