Monday, January 6, 2014

The Dreaded Dentist's Chair

If there is one person who fears the dentist as much as me, it's Alexandra. She was scheduled to have a filling done two days after Christmas - but oh, how she was fretting over it! Seriously, it was ruining her holiday. So, because I understand her fear, I took pity and rescheduled the appointment so she could enjoy Christmas without it looming over her. However, we made a deal that I wouldn't let her know when the new date was; that one day I would just say, "It's time."

Saturday was that day.

We needed to leave at about 7:40 in the morning, so I went in her bedroom before the sun even rose and woke her with the dreaded news. That's when the tears and cries began.

Elsa, who had just recently had two teeth extracted, went up to Alexandra and compassionately rubbed her back. "It's okay," she told her sister. Then she looked directly at me and said, "I want to go."

So she came along and gave Alexandra love and support throughout the entire ordeal. It warmed my heart to watch. These girls are amazing:


 photo 62fda85a-fb33-4dae-a2f0-e21728b73f18_zps7145f5c2.jpg

Poor Alexandra. I know how it feels to be sitting there awaiting your doom. In fact, I will be sitting there awaiting my doom two weeks from today. :(

 photo 7009caef-3bbe-476b-9565-9a6277936aa5_zpsa81d4c5d.jpg 


Afterwards. Oh, how I love this picture - the expression on Elsa's face is so Normal Rockwell...

 photo e696d170-d66c-44c2-b908-1b8dcb92b417_zps29daa833.jpg

And finally, Elsa wrapped her arm around Alexandra to walk her to the safety of our car. She survived.

 photo d565cfa2-20be-4c65-94d5-42823ab4167a_zpscc7abcc0.jpg

When we got home Alexandra used a little pen and notepad to communicate with me since her mouth was numb. The first note she handed me said:

"That wasn't as bad as I expected."

Now if I can just keep that in mind when my turn comes. Though I am having a bit more than a filling done...
Related Posts with Thumbnails