Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"It was a long time ago..."

I started a new book yesterday.

You see, I have been craving a good book. Lately, I have struggled to find one that I connect with. Truth be told, I abandoned two out of the last three books I started due to lack of interest. And the book I finished two nights ago wasn't much better. But I forced myself to finish it.

I couldn't help but reflect back on the book that I love most, The Giver. The way each word speaks to me; connects with me. I wanted another book like that. I wanted that experience again.

I went to my bookcase and pulled from the shelf a book titled, Autumn Street. It's written by Lois Lowry, who also authored, The Giver. My mother-in-law loaned me Autumn Street months and months ago but I hadn't gotten around to reading it. Perhaps, I thought, this would be a book that would capture my attention; a story that would suck me in. Oh, how I have craved that!

I opened to the first page and read this:

"It was a long time ago.

     Though it seems, sometimes, that most things that matter happened a long time ago, that is not really true. What is true is this: by the time you realize how much something mattered, time has passed; by the time it stops hurting enough that you can tell about it, first to yourself, and finally to someone else, more time has passed; then, when you sit down to begin the telling, you have to begin this way: 

   It was a long time ago."

I read and re-read that first page. Over and over again. It was beautiful.

I think I found what I've been looking for.
Related Posts with Thumbnails